Monday, November 30, 2009

It's a Long Time Until July

I'm struggling to be the parent I want to be. Thumper is exhibiting all sorts of stereotypical two-year-old behavior. He wants to do everything himself. He throws himself on the floor and screams at just about anything I say, even if I'm suggesting something he wants to do, even if he suggested it first. He bit Aerie hard enough to leave blood under the skin, though I think he was as shocked that it happened as she was. At first I thought tantrum behavior was kind of funny, as in, "Hey, look at that! Two-year-olds really do that! Cute!" Now I'm just tired.

I want to be the parent who acts calmly. I want to be the...

Jesus Christ, will someone shut that goddamned dog up! He's been barking for 45 freaking minutes already!

What was I saying? Oh, yeah, the parent who responds to behavior rationally, not emotionally. But apparently I can't do that. He throws his food on the floor and bangs his fork repeatedly on his plate, and I snatch it away from him. He screams and throws his milk cup across the room, and I yell at him. He hits me with a Tinker Toy stick, and I put him roughly onto the timeout stool. I have never hit him, though, and have no fear that I ever will. I've just been doing a lot of yelling, and he's doing a lot of screaming. Did you hear us in WalMart this morning?

Oh, great. The cat's throwing up in the other room.

Anyway, there you go: evidence that it's not all peaches and cream in the Rodius household.

Dealing with Toddler Tantrums

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, stop telling such lies about that angel child who is related to me!!

Seriously, I wish I had some exceptionally wise and insightful advice to give, but alas I do not. You'll get through it with more grace than many do, but it might be long time before you reach the "look back and laugh" stage. Sending you all my best love . . .

Purelight said...

Hey, I'm not Anonymous, no way. I'm trying that again. More love . . .

Anonymous said...

I had a hard time with the comments like "It's normal" (although it is) and "It will pass" (although it will) and "you are doing a great job" (and you are). Sometimes, when your in the middle of it you just want someone to acknowledge it is hard and it is tiring (because it is).

It's a tough time, thank god for all those great times that make it totally worth it huh?

I, Rodius said...

He is an angel child, except when he's not. Writing about it makes it easier. Thanks for the support!

Related Posts with Thumbnails