Friday, February 12, 2010

Jumping

Last night I got the clear impression that I was watching Thumper's physical abilities develop second by second. In gymnastics, I've been encouraging him to jump. He jumps up and down on the floor, but he won't jump on the trampoline and he won't jump off objects, even low ones.

Last night, though, he dragged a box into the living room and jumped off of it holding my hands. Then he climbed back up and jumped off into my hands. Then he climbed up and jumped off over and over and over, with his Mama and me praising his wonderful jumping skills. Each time, he got a little better at it, first falling on the floor when he landed, then putting his hands to the floor but staying on his feet, and finally sticking the landing.

"I'm a good jumper," he said.

"You are!" we said.

Then he landed badly and turned his ankle. It didn't swell, but he was limping. That's a very sad sight, a two-year-old with a limp.

This morning I asked him, "How's your ankle? Does it still hurt?"

"Just a little bit," he said. "But it doesn't hurt."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we are planning on getting G a trampoline for his bday so he can practice his skills at our place :)

Purelight said...

Very impressive athleticism, Jumper Thumper!

I, Rodius said...

I hope G doesn't read my blog; the surprise will be ruined!

His limp still persisted today. It slowed him down at Jungle Java, especially on the climbing, but he still managed to have a good time. He even busted out some dance moves for a couple of appreciative moms.

Related Posts with Thumbnails