Thursday, September 20, 2012

Grandparents' Luncheon


The first wave of grandparents came through, nearly as excited as the kindergartners they were visiting, and already we were out of grilled cheese. Volunteers stood around in hair nets, gloves stretched too tight or hanging loose, and aprons like garbage bags. Too much to do and too many people to get it done. A mountain was forming, though, with no one conquering it. Trays covered in tomato sauce. Cups still half full of chocolate milk. Thirty minutes later, I was soaked and splattered, smiling. The mountain was gone. I need an industrial dish washing machine like that at home.

4 comments:

barbara said...

nothing like an industrial dishwasher . . . are you hiring out? :)

barbara-again said...

oh - and, as a grandparent, where's MY grilled cheese??? :)

My youngest grand is now 9 yo so no more k'garden fun for me.

I, Rodius said...

Grilled cheese is pretty popular. May I interest you in a quesadilla instead?

Velvet Verbosity said...

I volunteer at a family camp every summer and the main building has an industrial dish washer. It's a hard hard shift to be on dish crew for 150 people, but I always jump in at least once because it's so very satisfying to clear out a mountain. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails