Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Paving the Way I: Running on Empty

I've always been heavy. Well, not always. There were 2 or 3 years starting at 18. I worked out in my parents' garage every day for a summer and lost 50 pounds. I went to college and fooled Mrs. Rodius into falling for me through false advertising. (Sorry, that's sarcasm. I've been reading through Melissa's archives at Suburban Bliss lately, and I just recently read the Great Weight Debate of March '06 begun at Morphing Into Mama and carried on at Homesick Home and probably elsewhere all over this wacky internet thing. I'm heavier than I was in college. So's Mrs. Rodius. So are a lot of people.)

Now, as at other times in my life, I'm Trying to Lose Weight. It's part of my preparations for the Coming of Thumper. I'm afraid he's going to come out already able to outrun me, so I thought it was time to give this "healthy lifestyle" thing another shot. I've been working out. A lot. Like four, five, and six times a week, since February. Running, even. Well, walking and jogging, anyway. And I cut way back on the drinking. I mean, I'm not self-medicating through some very emotionally tough times anymore, like I have been for a good part of the last ten years. The time is ripe, right? The pounds should be falling off me, right?

You might think so. But you'd be wrong. I'm still 250 pounds at 6'3", and I'm not talking about a waxed and oiled rippling 250, I'm talking about hairy belly, boobs, and thighs 250. Still. After all this time. That's about 5 pounds lost in three months of sweating my ass, well, not off, really. But sweating a whole hell of a lot, OK? What's up with that?

Well, part of what's up with that was that I started replacing my booze calories with sugar calories. Chocolate, and I'm not sure if you've noticed this, is tasty. And when I start to get a handle on the calorie shift, and manage to avoid both booze and sweet, sweet delightful snacking in the evening, I lose motivation on the exercise and only work out once or twice a week. And when I get back on the workout track, I find I'm drinking again, more than a little, on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. And hey, that's only the weekend, right? Well, yeah, but it's also kind of like half the week. Half the week pouring hundreds and thousands of calories down my throat. But yeah, drankin' is fun.

So how do I get a handle on why my brain, or my body, or maybe both, doesn't want me to be svelte? I want to be svelte! Who doesn't want to be svelte?

2 comments:

L. said...

Hi, there.

It`s "L.," from Homesick Home.

I have lost 18 pounds since I STOPPED SWIMMING. I know it`s counterintuitive, but working out less (I`m still walking) has led to weight loss, because I can better control my hunger when I don`t work up a huge appetite 3 or 4 times a week with a vigorous swim.

I`m still far from svelte, but I`m pleased to say I`m no longer as zaftig as I was when I wrote that weight post last year (that attracted WAAAAAAY too much attention).

Good luck to you!

I, Rodius said...

I liked the whole discussion around the weight post last year. I think weight still affects men on an emotional level, but in a different way than for women. It's interesting to see how the other half lives, plus I think women are way harder on each other than men.

Thanks for the feedback. I've always heard that regular exercise reduces your appetite, but whenever I hear that I think, "Huh? Really? Than why am I so friggin' hungry!"

Related Posts with Thumbnails