Wednesday, July 16, 2008

10: The New 9?

I've begun to suspect that Thumper's napping patterns may be in flux. It's hard to tell, because he's had a cold since Friday, and having a stuffed up nose can mess with your sleep. But for a long time, he had been as regular as clockwork: 9am-11am, 2pm-4pm, 8pm-7am. Lately, though, he's been fighting it. I can't recall if it's just this week, because a week with a sick baby can seem so much longer. I think it may have been before he got sick, too. He fights it. He complains for sometimes a good half hour, then he wakes up a good half hour earlier than he used to. So he's only getting an hour or a little more per nap instead of his usual two.

So today I thought I'd see if he was ready for a change. I took him for a jog at 9am to see if you would stay awake or doze off. He stayed awake! As I jogged, I thought about the blog post I would write: "The long-feared day has come! Not the end of oil, but almost as dire: the end of morning nap!" How am I going to shower? How am I going to get anything done? I pictured how we'd share a little mid-morning snack of yogurt and a cereal bar, and how he'd probably have a nice long nap after lunch, during which I could blog and screw around on the internet write some copy and clean the house. And you know what else this means? Playdates with the SAHDs! He'll actually be awake for 10am playdates now!

But he fell asleep about a block from home. He even stayed asleep as I got him out of the stroller and carried him to his room. His eyes popped open when I laid him down, though, and he complained bitterly for about ten minutes. He's quiet now. I guess 10 is the new 9. This is good, though. If I can exercise while he's awake, I can do other things while he's asleep, like write some copy and clean the house blog and screw around on the internet.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Losing the morning nap is scary...but just wait. Losing the second one is even scarier! We aren't there yet with the baby, thankfully, but I'm sure it will happen sooner than the other 2. I had them down for naps/quiet time until they were 3/5 respectively.

anne said...

My kids are 6 and 9, and we STILL have quiet time right after lunch on weekends. About 50% of the time, the six year old will fall asleep, and nap a couple of hours. He plays hard during the week, and it is so hot at regular night bedtime now, that any sleep he can get is a blessing for all of us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails