Sunday, August 5, 2007

The One-Armed Man

Blogging: latest activity on my newly discovered list of things I can do with one arm, not so much tied behind my back, but more a deadened lump of twisted bone on which my son sleeps angelically.

Other items on the list:

Dozing. I plan to work my way up to all-out sleeping soon, but that's the advanced parenting level to which I have not yet graduated.

Preparing and eating food. Granted, we're talking about opening a package of crackers or gnawing on cold leftover pizza, but again, at the advanced level, I plan to be do the full Iron Chef.

Taking a dump. I'm not proud that it took me less than 15 hours out of the hospital to reach this desperate a low already, but I'm working on the longest stretch of peace Mrs. Rodius has had so far, and she was starting to look a bit desperate herself.

Item not yet on the list:

Washing my hands afterward. I had to put him down for a second for this one, and he gravely threatened to kill me dead. How do people with one arm wash their hand?

5 comments:

Twisted Branches said...

You are in desperate need of a baby bjorn my friend or perhaps a baby sling, but trust me when I say these are your very best friends right now. Wear Thumper like an accessory. Hands free for typing and wiping! LOL

Loving hearing about the newest parents on the battlefield. :)

PureLight said...

Sounds like excellent advice from SUV. And didn't I see one of those thingies in the big pile of swag from the baby shower?
Hang tough, you guys. These dog days shall pass, then let the good times begin. In two weeks or so all will have settled down. Believe yo' mama!

anniemcq said...

I am just flat out giggling. I am so excited for you all on this new adventure. How's the Mrs. doing? Aside from the whole lack of sleep and getting her body to adjust to having the Thump man on the outside? Sending you all good wishes. If I were there, I'd make you all the world's best sandwich, something we make for all new parents.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, if I weren't in moving hell, I would come over with some food and hold Thumper for a bit (like that's doing you a favor...really it's just fun for me!) so you can both shower, eat and go to the bathroom in peace.

I remember those days well.

It gets better. It does. Just not soon enough. :)

Give me a week to get settled, and if you want, I'll come over with some food and baby holding duty. I will insist on you not doing the socially polite thing like sitting and chatting with me - just pawn Thumper off on me and go off and do your thing. Trust me, been there, done that.

anne said...

The lifesaver for us was the bouncy seat. We put our babies in it when we needed both hands, and we could carry her / him from room to room in it and have them close by, but not on the floor or on the couch. Both my kids spent time in the bathroom with me: them in the seat on the floor, and me in the shower or "otherwise indisposed."

Best 10 dollars we ever spent at the baby gear consignment store.

Related Posts with Thumbnails