Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Self-Improvement Project '08-'09: Six-Month Checkup

So it's been a little over six months since I decided to use my blog to make some changes to my life. It's seems like a good time to revisit those goals and see how I'm doing. I lost 13 pounds, but I've plateaued and haven't lost anything at all the past several weeks. In fact, I think it's safe to say that all or almost all of my weight loss occurred while I was following the precepts of the Weight Watchers Flex Plan. I don't think I'll go back to it, though, because it's clearly not a lifestyle change that I can maintain. I hated the counting and calculating all the time. I need to find other ways to apply principals of portion control to my diet. I've been focusing on caloric output since I dropped the Weight Watchers; now it's time for me to focus on caloric input, too.

Goal #1: Exercise for 45 minutes per day, three days or more per week.

This one's gone pretty well, I think. I've even upped it to four days or more per week, and I think I can truthfully say I meet this goal on a regular basis. Not every week, but most. I think this is a lifestyle change than I can actually maintain.

Goal #2: Drink two days per week or less.

Uh, well, that one I pretty much abandoned early on. I think I'm ready to revisit the alcohol issue. It's a large portion of my caloric input problem. I'm not sure what my new goal will be yet, though. The 2 days per week thing didn't work very well. Maybe I need to be more specific.

Goal #3: Watch TV for two hours or less per day.

Doing well on this one, I think. We've got an hours-long backlog of recorded Lost and 24 to catch up on, so we must be doing well. I have to admit, I've got an embarrassing Biggest Loser habit, though.

Goal #4: Finish one book every two weeks.

I think I've only achieved this goal once, excepting the Twilight series, which is just too fluffy to really count. But I'm happy with what I've done. I've definitely been reading much more, and that's the spirit of the goal, even if I haven't exactly lived up to the letter of the goal.

Goal #5: Stop being snarky about other people.

Again, I think this one's mostly a success. Aerie and I still sit and snark about some folks now and then, but some of the people I was snarky about are no longer in my life, which is a relief. I thought this might help me transform into a more positive person, but I think the changes in my political thought and my future volunteering and the like will do more for me in that regard. I may never be the kind and loving hippie I should be, but I can approach it if I try.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails