Monday, June 11, 2007

It Wouldn't Be Summer Without Them

I got some good work done on my sandal tan lines this weekend. These particular tan lines were shaped by the Mexican sandals. They're my favorite footwear because:

1. I got them in Mexico last summer, and they remind me of our week pretending we were the wealthy, resort-living types.

2. They were ten bucks! I wore a pair of $60 Nike sandals for four summers and even put new velcro on them. When one of the straps broke, I stitched it back together. I was determined to get my money's worth. I'd gotten my money's worth out of my Mexican sandals before we'd even left Mexico, so everything since has just been bonus sandal time. I should put that in my profile: I'm cheap.

3. They're sandals! This is the next best thing to being barefoot. Mrs. Rodius doesn't like to be barefoot because she thinks she has ugly feet. She doesn't. They're tiny, and as we all know, anything tiny is cute. But she still wears socks all the time, even around the house in Austin in the summer. Me, I'd be permanently barefoot if it weren't for sharp, pointy things and the societal standards that say that bare feet do not qualify as acceptable work attire. Not that they would be suitable work attire either, but I've been thinking about trying Crocs lately, mostly because the University Co-op has them in Longhorn orange and white. Even though they're full of holes, though, I kind of think they wouldn't be barefooty enough for me.

So for me, sandal tan lines are a sign of a good summer. So far this year, they've mostly been developing through yard work, but yesterday, I played 18 holes of disc golf with two guys I met through the Austin Stay-at-Home Dads group. I'm terrible at disc golf. In fact, one of the guys had never played before, and was flinging borrowed discs. He beat me by three strokes, and I've been playing for years, that's how good I am at this "sport." I feel obligated to put "sport" in quotes because disc golf probably approaches bowling in how much beer the average player consumes while participating. The SAHDs and I did not add beer to the competitive mix yesterday, though, mostly because beer doesn't sound so refreshing at 9:00 on a Sunday morning. But we could have. We'd have been well within our disc golfing rights.

So, there you go. A picture of my hairy foot. Happy Summer to you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Bopping over to check out your blog.

Totally agree with you about New England vs Texas. It took me a couple months not to be startled when the cashier and the bagger wanted to chat it up with me in HEB. Now I sigh with happy relief when the other Austinites waiting in line at Boston Logan airport to fly back ask me if I'm going "home", and when I say yes, they smile and say "Boy, a few days is enough up here, huh?" It was like this collective decompression when we got off the plane in the Austin airport!

My husband plays disc golf with his buddies on occasion.

PureLight said...

Hey, Rodius, this is your mom speaking. I love this ode to your sandals and your hairy feet! Your affection for sandals began early, as I remember that as a 3-year-old you spoke endlessly about the cool sandals worn to daycare by another boy.

I, Rodius said...

Hi Mom!

Miniature baby sandals are still my favorite item in the baby section. Tiny, and sandals! What could be better?

Related Posts with Thumbnails