Thursday, September 13, 2007

OK, So It Turns Out

All that not wanting to sleep in his crib stuff? Uh, he's apparently having digestive problems, probably an allergy to something Mrs. Rodius is eating, possibly dairy, though she eats almost none of that as it is. So he's vomiting a lot this week, or as we say to cute it up for the adorable little babies: "spitting up." So it's probably a reflux problem that's making him fussy. And lying flat makes it worse. And when he's sleeping on us, he's on a slope. Which is how he's supposed to sleep to avoid the reflux. He's cried and refluxed his wee little voice into a heartbreaking little croak. And oh yeah, he may or may not have new jaundice issues, which may or may not be of a harmless "breastmilk jaundice" variety.

Let the parental guilt begin in earnest!

On the plus side, it's good to know there's causality here, and it's not just that he doesn't like us very much and wants to torture us as much as possible. So that's a good thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH. the dreaded *reflux*

a few things...if it's taken this long for symptoms to show, it's going to be of the mild variety (hooray for you guys!) :D

first-keep him elevated as much as possible-you're on the right track elevating his bed. we kept rolled up towels and a piece of wooden board under Ben's mattress. he'd wriggle progressively lower as he slept, but it def. seemed to help.

second-we installed an Angel Care Monitor and flipped him onto his tummy sleep. He slept 6 hours straight the first time we tried this, and the monitor was there to alert us if he stopped breathing.

(the combo of the two methods resulted in him wiggling off the monitor and setting off the alarm as he laid at the end of the bed-but at least we knew everything was working!)

talk with your ped about Zantac or Prevacid. If you go this route, have them flavored so they are a little more palatable for your guy.

Still pumping bm and feeding through a bottle? Look into SimplyThick...it thickens the BM so it stays down a little better.

btw-BM is BEST with refluxers. it is digested so much faster (doesn't sit around, threatening to come back up and hurt their little throats)

email me if you want more help-I have an excel spreadsheet I whipped up to help list symptoms so the ped. will take you seriously.

jennifer (at) sugar-photography.com

anniemcq said...

wow. I was just going to say "Poor Thumper", but Jen's comment amazed me. Isn't this internet community amazing?!

Anonymous said...

Uh yeah...what Jen said.

My only suggestion that was different for me is that BM was NOT better - we had to go to the soy formula (which I have e-mailed you about in the past). It didn't matter how much I cut out of my diet...my colicky refluxers needed soy.

And Zantac.

And they slept on their tummies, with the doctor's approval because the reflux was so bad.

I, Rodius said...

Thanks for the feedback. I've never heard of either the monitor or the thickener. Things have been better the past few days, but I'll definitely be mining the wisdom of your experiences if we continue to have problems.

This is a pretty cool aspect of an online community!

Thanks, guys!

The Nanny said...

Hey! I found your blog thru Minivan Mom's. One of my charges--oops, I mean, nannykids, has reflux. We put a large pillow underneath her mattresses (sometimes two, if she's refluxing badly) to keep her elevated. She also takes Preva.cid nightly, which helps--she loves the strawberry flavored stuff!

Hope this helps, and I'll check back! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails