Sunday, September 9, 2007

Socially Inept

Tracey's comment on the previous post made me realize I didn't really blog about meeting her and Rich at all. So:

I am a horribly shy person. I hate meeting new people. I even considered making some excuse not to go to the party yesterday, just to avoid that moment of "Hi, nice to meet you." I dreaded it, just as I've dreaded it with other people in other situations. I even avoid social situations with people I've known for years because of a terror of social awkwardness. I went through all kinds of horrible paroxysms about how fat I am, and how pompous, and how I couldn't possibly live up in real life to whatever expectations Tracey and Rich and whichever of their readers would be at that party may have cultivated about me. But in the end, I just told myself to shut up and go. And I did.

Bailey opened the door for us. He was very friendly, and later told me all about the different languages he speaks, and how he can count in Korean because of karate, and even demonstrated some sweet, sweet moves for me. Then one of the first adults I met was Lisa. She said, "I know who you are. You must be the man himself." And I nearly turned around and walked out. In person, I'm not the man. At all.

And the funny thing was, I totally would've recognized Rich, even out of context and in a crowd. He looked exactly as I expected from his pictures. But Tracey, not so much. I stood in front of her and thought, "Is that her? Maybe that's her. What if I call her Tracey and she's not?" There was another chick there who could've been Tracey, (I think it was her sister; I don't know. Mrs. Rodius met more people there. She told me on the drive home about Tracey and her sister, and how they alternate travelling monthly to each other's cities for visits, and how Mrs. Rodius would like to start doing that with her brother's family. I think I know who her sister was. Maybe. I don't know. I may have mentioned I'm socially inept. Where was I? Oh yeah.)

And then Tracey was socially gracious and introduced herself and knew who we were, and offered to hold Thumper, and pointed us in the direction of food and beverages, and introduced us to people, and acted like a completely non-awkward regular human being, and spent a generous amount of time with us, knowing we didn't know many people there. I was grateful, and all went well. Sorry if I was weird. If it wasn't for Mrs. Rodius, I'd live in a cave and never speak to anyone, except by blog or email.

So anyway, thanks for being a normal human being, and I hope we get to see you and your family again someday. And as Thumper grows up, I'll try to teach him not to shove his arm down women's shirts. At least not without an invitation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This whole post made me giggle, in a warm fuzzy endearing sort of way.

I'm not sure what to think about not looking like my pictures, so I'm going to go ahead and take it as a compliment in that I photograph horribly and I am MUCH more beautiful, dazzling and skinny in real life. It could be that I was having an ugly day yesterday (quite possible after cleaning most of the day and then running around in 93 degree weather) and you were thinking "wow, that photoshop does a picture good.". But I'm going to go with the former, for my self esteem.

My sister was there, and we do resemble each other although she is 3" shorter, 30 pounds thinner, and 3 shades blonder than me. But we look enough alike to be sisters. I believe she also spent some time talking to Mrs. Rodius, so she's probably who you think she is.

Okay, for real, here was the conversation after everyone left regarding the Rodius clan:

Me: "I'm so happy that (insert real name) came."
Rich: "Me too"
Me: "I really liked his wife. I spent a lot of time talking with her and she was very cool!"
Rich: "Yeah, and that's so neat that we do so much...(edited to preserve anonymity but having to do with mutual work acquaintances)"
Me: "Yeah. (insert real name) was quieter than I thought, but very nice!"
Rich: "Yeah, although I expected him to be like that"
Me: "really?" thinks for a minute "yeah, I guess that makes sense. Most people that are really good writers are so internal and in their heads so much, they're not as extroverted"
Rich: "exactly"
Me: "well, I hope we can get together, because I really liked them"
Rich: "me too"

Hopefully you will read that and not fixate on the fact that we both noticed you were quiet, but instead see that 1. we think Mrs. Rodius kicks ass and 2. we acknowledge that you are a brilliant writer and 3. that you are very cool, if quiet.

I'm glad you came.

Rich Robinson said...

Funny....I think I'm much more beautiful, dazzling and skinny in real life too. It was great to meet you and Mrs. Rodius. I felt bad that I didn't get much of a chance to sit and talk to either of you personally. I hope we can get together again soon (just the 8 of us) and hang out. It'll be fun. And I didn't get a chance to hang out with Thumper. It's a little known fact that I am the baby burp whisperer. Oh, I need to add that to my list of 8 things about me. Catch you later.

anniemcq said...

Rodius, if we ever come to Texas, and Tracey has a party, you can hang in the corner with my husband. He's a combination of very social and very shy. He used to HATE going places where new people were gathered. He's gotten better, but he'd still rather hang at home and play instruments. But he's really smart and funny, and I have a feeling that the two of you would have a lot in common. Except maybe politics....but it would be a really interesting conversation!

I am kind of jealous that you all got to meet. Not in a crazy stalker way, just a "dang. that sounds like fun" way.

Mommy Mo said...

I loved meeting you and the fam-fam. I, too, think I am much more beautiful, dazzling, and skinny in real life. Weird, huh? I wish I could have spent more time talking with you guys, but alas, my little Sam was making me chase him all over and well, I really didn't talk to hardly anyone, besides a passing "HI".

As for what Tracey wrote: Most people that are really good writers are so internal and in their heads so much, they're not as extroverted." I am pretty extroverted- that must be why my blog writing sucks, lol!!!!!!!!!! I knew there was a correlation somewhere.

And Rich is the Manly Baby Whisperer. Look it up on wikipedia- it's there, promise.

I, Rodius said...

minivan mom: I don't think it's just you, as far as not looking like what I remembered. I met Mrs. Rodius' boss today, thinking that I met her once a few years ago, but now she looks totally different. On the drive home, when I described what I thought the boss used to look like, Mrs. Rodius had no idea who I was talking about, but the boss never looked like that. I apparently live a rich fantasy life.

And you're right: Mrs. Rodius does kick ass.

St. Rich: You'll have to teach me the baby whispering secret. Oh, and by the way, you didn't come across as quite as drunk as minivan mom portrayed you. I think she must live a rich fantasy life as well.

anniemcq: Come on down! You and the hubby, and definitely J-H, sound like good people to know. Just don't be surprised if I'm quiet all night and then say something stupid.

Related Posts with Thumbnails