Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Thank You, Little Baby Jesus

I hate to be obnoxious about it, so I apologize in advance for this post. But seriously, we really lucked out on this whole baby lottery. I kind of don't want to say anything, because whenever I write about Thumper here, he reads it and changes his behavior. But I just can't think of anything else to write about other than how lucky we are to have him. So thank you for this blessing, little baby Jesus, thank you Jewish God, thank you Allah, thank you Tom Cruise. By the way, Mom, that's a Talladega Nights reference.

First, he's on the most regular feeding and sleeping schedule imagineable. I would like to take credit for this, but it's all him. It's very easy to predict the time that he will begin his countdown to emotional meltdown, which makes it easier to plan errands, playdates (like the one he had with SWSIL this weekend), and other variations from the daily routine. This morning, we took the car in for service. The customer service rep and a couple of the other customers repeatedly remarked what a happy baby he is. I looked at the clock and said, "Yeah, we've got about another half hour." Half an hour later, my name was called, and he started to lose it just as we finished with the cashier. Predictable. You can't get better than that.

Second, he's sociable. He makes me have conversations with perfect strangers, and that's a good thing for a guy who otherwise would never talk to anyone and live in complete isolation. An anecdote for illustrative purposes: yesterday I was filling out the online form that begins the background check process for my potential airport security screener job. It asks for home addresses going back ten years, and non-relatives who knew me at those addresses. The first person I could think of was our realtor. After that, I was stumped.

But Thumper makes me talk to people. He's an excellent flirt, especially with the ladies. I think he'd be happy to flirt with the gentlemen as well, but the ladies are just so much more responsive to his dimply charms. So I am frequently drawn into conversations that I would not otherwise have had. Usually it's about his age and the status of his dental and mobility development and how he's going to be a real handful soon. Sometimes people gently probe the question of the mother, but only occasionally does someone ask me directly if I'm a "Mr. Mom."

Third, and I suppose this is just a corrollary to his sociability, he's so freakin' cute. People often say, in tones of utter disbelief, "He's so adorable. My God, look at those eyes." I usually feel awkward saying "thanks" to this, like I sculpted him myself out of a giant block of butter, but I usually do. It's better than the awkward silence.

I think Thumper's cuteness and the sociability get me better customer service, too. People remember me better. They're friendlier. They go the extra mile by holding open doors for us and things like that. People love a baby. If you're tired of surly service, I highly recommend getting one. It doesn't always work, particularly in fast food joints, but it definitely increases the odds.

So thanks, Thumper, for being a great baby.

Oh, and as for updates: Yesterday, at his six-month checkup, he was 17 lbs. 15 oz., and I think he was 26 inches long*, though I could be misremembering the length part. He's in the 85th percentile on height and 65th for weight. He's in the 90th for head circumference. Who knew big, giant heads were so cute? He's exhibiting excellent balance in sitting unsupported, though he's not sitting up himself yet. He's also not rolling over or crawling, but he's nearly there on the rolling over. As Biggest Brother said, all it would take would be a strong gust of wind. He's tolerating Tummy Time for longer and longer periods and gets his head way up in the air. Yesterday he even started lifting his abdomen up, too, which just about gets his knees under him. He's trying very hard to scoot forward towards toys, but his best efforts push him backward, which he finds not at all helpful.

I know I said I was going to try not to post many pictures of him, because of that whole pesky internet predator thing, but how can I resist? I try, I really do, but when he drinks his bottle, he does this "Oh my, I think I'm gettin' the vapors" back-of-the-hand-to-the-forehead thing. How could I not share a picture of that?

*Corrected length: 27.5"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE when they do that.

Thumper is at my absolute favorite age. 6 months is just the perfect, perfect age. By then, most babies are on a schedule and sleeping fairly regularly, but they're not mobile enough to get into trouble. Generally speaking, they stay in the same vicinity as wherever you put them down.

Steven Tyler's PJs said...

Oh my GOD he is the handsome-est baby. You really did hit the jackpot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails