Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm Pretty Sure This One's AHEAD of the Curve

Apparently to drive home to me the fact that I'm no expert on the timeline of developmental landmarks, Nine-Year-Old-Niece today presented me with this conversation while simultaneously impressing Thumper with her mastery of the Skip-It* on the deck in her backyard:

NYON: I like recess. You know the funny thing about recess, though? I have a crush on this boy, A? And he has a crush on me? So we spend a lot of time together. And B? He still likes me, too? So everywhere I went at recess, I had two boys following me around. But that's OK. I really like A, so I enjoy his company? But then B, he said he'd devote his whole life to me.

IR: Uh...

NYON: I know, right? Boys are so ridiculous.

IR: So are A and B friends?

NYON: Well, B kind of gets on A's nerves. And A kind of gets on B's nerves.

IR: I bet.

NYON: So then we're playing volleyball? Me and four of my friends? And C and D are really good, so they're playing the rest of us? But then they said that I should come on their team, but then E and F said, "Hey, that's not fair!" So I said A should play with them, but he said, "No way!" And I told him, "Look, if you're going to hang out with me, you're going to have to get used to my friends..."

IR: Maybe we should go in now and check on your brother.

NYON: OK!




*I asked her if the Skip-It had a counter on it, and she said no, the one with the counter is the new model, this one's an old model from a couple years ago. Wikipedia says this is a toy from the 80's, and the one with the counter came out in the early 90's. Her daddy's a big anti-pop culture Luddite! Can you believe these kids got a Wii for Christmas??

3 comments:

Rich Robinson said...

gulp....I can't even begin to fathom that I might have to deal with that in a few years. That's frightening.

And by the way. You're doing fine. Thumper's doing fine. Forget about the books and the charts. They are only there to frighten you.

And by the way, you're doing fine and so is thumper. Don't read the books or the charts. They are only there to frighten you. If you are worried about something, just voice your concern to your pediatrician at Thumper's next appointment. Ours was always great about telling us "Well, most kids can do this by now, but you are still in the range of normal if they can't do it by next month."

On a side note, what's with the word verifications getting harder?! Seriously, the word verification for this comment is: enswmwvg...I think! I barely make it out.

Rich Robinson said...

And by the way. You're doing fine. Thumper's doing fine. Forget about the books and the charts. They are only there to frighten you.


....leading cognitive psychologists say that you are most likely to remember something if you read it 3 times.

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of this was everything said as a question. Apparently 9 year old's have the same vernacular as 7-will-be-8-next-month-year-old's, because Bailey also presents half his statements as questions.

Too funny.

And my word verification is wckqua, so maybe the difficult verification is a sign that the saint should be working and not blog surfing. Unlike his unemployed dropout wife.

Related Posts with Thumbnails