Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A New Year

We at Rodius, Inc. took a little holiday break, and we enjoyed it thoroughly. I hope you and your family have enjoyed your holiday season, too.

Today, I took a look back at some old blog posts, mainly because we're way behind on Thumper's First Year Calendar, with stickers for landmark moments and everything that we never made a point of recording. So we were trying to figure out his First This and First That dates, for which the blog was somewhat helpful. I made a label for First, but I didn't really label any of his firsts. Sounds just like something I'd do.

Mostly, though, as I read through it, I was struck with the strong urge to go back and delete all my whiny posts about the baby. I feel so much calmer and more confident about the boy lately. He's doing great at self-soothing, going down for naps and for bedtime with very little complaint, and he's gone from four daily naps to three. He's still not keen on Tummy Time, but we keep working on it, just as we're working on hand-eye coordination and alone time. He's not real keen on the alone time, but we're working on making him suffer through it here and there. He makes me laugh all the time, and he makes me frustrated all the time, and I'm not sure why I didn't know it would be like this.

Anyway, I don't know. I'm half thinking of following my mother's example and pulling the plug on the blog. I feel silly for taking it all so seriously, as if each moment was potentially permanently negatively impacting his future. Does each moment of angst really need to be documented? No, probably not.

On the other hand, it's good to have a place where Thumper's extended family can keep up with what's going on in his life, because I don't really email or (HA!) write as much as I should. And it's fun to write something I think is funny and have people respond positively to it. So I think I'll keep at it awhile. It was nice to have a break, though.

Happy New Year, y'all! Here's to new beginnings. And Mom, I'm sorry to see your bloginess fade; it was good to keep up with what's going on in your world, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...shit. Go to graduate school, and I'm out of the loop.

What happened to mom's blog?

suttonhoo said...

oh no -- I hope you don't pull the plug. I so love your perspective on all of it. :(

anniemcq said...

Don't stop! Rodi, you are the one male voice I check in with regularly, and I love getting your take on things.

I, Rodius said...

Mom decided she was done with blogging. I guess she didn't leave her farewell post up long enough!


I don't think I'm in any danger of quitting the blog. I'm too much of an attention hog. As long as you keep feeding the beast, it'll keep coming back for more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails