Monday, July 23, 2007

Crisis Point for a Lifelong Friendship

I have a friend. I remember quite clearly twisting around in my seat with the rest of the first grade to stare at him and his glasses at the back of the classroom. It was his first day at a new school. I don't remember introductions, or slowly becoming friends. We just were. His mother was our Cub Scout Den Mother. His father was our little league coach. His house was always stocked with home-made cookies and cakes and all manner of sugary delights. I may have spent more of my childhood in his house and yard than in my own. We were inseparable from 6 to 15, BFF's, though of course we'd never heard that term at the time.

After junior high, I followed Big Brother's example and transferred out of the high school that Phil Donahue once referred to as "Ken and Barbie High" to go to the rival high school a little further away. We weren't the kids whose parents bought them Mercedes and Mustangs for their 16th birthday. BFF wasn't either, but he chose to keep on at Ken and Barbie High.

Without seeing each other daily, the distance between us grew. Our activities and our circles of friends diverged, but we still remained friends. After high school, he spent a semester in the dorms of a college some 200 miles away. When he came back, I moved to Boston. We wrote letters to each other, in those days before email and instant messaging, and we played a long distance game of chess, one move per letter, over the course of years. He came to visit, and so did I.

We moved to Austin because Big Brother and his family had settled here, my parents and oldest sibling were only 200 miles away, and because I intended to go to grad school at the University of Texas. A bonus incentive was that BFF had settled here, too. With my return to Texas, our friendship was renewed. But now, it may be ending.

Since my return to Texas eight years ago, BFF has demonstrated a tendency toward evangelism. Not of the fundamentalist Christian variety, but evangelism nonetheless. He discovered The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity by Daniel Reid, and it became his bible. He felt healthier than he'd ever felt before. He no longer had problems with allergies or acne. He had found The Way that was right for him, and he immersed himself in it completely. He also gave copies of the book to many of the people that he knew, including me. The tenets of the book dominated his conversation for a long time.

He also became an environmental activist. Again, he gave away copies of books that were important to him, like The End of Oil by Paul Roberts. Daily, he forwarded emails from the various green listservs to which he belonged. He pointed out the dietary and environmental failings of his friends and lovers. He preached with the fervor of a born-again sinner.

It was important to him, and he was important to me, so I went along. I tried his diet for six months, and felt no different. I fasted twice a year for a few years, and I got a little bit more out of that, but not enough to make it a permanent aspect of my life. I debated politics with him, in person and in email, until I could no longer stomach the same arguments going around and around and around. As I've mentioned before, he helped curb my rampant conservatism, to a degree. But I finally had to tell him how weary I've grown of his relentess efforts to change me into the friend he wishes I was.

And now, he's discovered Landmark Forums. After a lull in our friendship, he called me out of the blue to apologize for not being a very good friend to me and to ask me to support him by attending a graduation ceremony for a class that he had taken called Landmark Forum. I was touched that he reached out like that, and I told him I'd be there. After I hung up, I Googled it. I was concerned by what I found. It struck me, rightly or wrongly, as a cynical combination of cult and corporation, manipulating their clients' emotional response to the carefully developed and presented content in order to convert them to recruiters to grow ever-larger the corporate bottom line. Is it an actual cult? I don't know. Is Scientology a cult? I don't know. Do the histories and ideologies of Landmark and Scientology intersect here and there? I think so.

The language BFF used in that phone call was repeated in the pages I found: he had been "running a racket" on me, creating "vicious circles;" he wanted to "be present" with me, and "create the possibility" of a better relationship. I read that the phone call he made to me and the invitation to the "graduation" were indeed part of the Forum, and that part of their purpose was to have current Forum attendees working on their friends and families to increase enrollment in future Forums. I found it disturbing. I called him back to tell him that, while I would attend his graduation, I'd appreciate it if he did not give Landmark my contact information and let me make the decision myself how much involvement I wanted to have with them. He agreed, though he felt I had their motives all wrong. I considered parking a few blocks away and walking, so they couldn't hunt me down through my license plate.

The graduation itself was less a celebration of what the attendees had accomplished through the class and more an hours-long marketing session for the rest of us. I managed not to fill out the contact information cards that were repeatedly offered, and they were much less pushy about it than I anticipated. Near the end, the attendees were instructed to invite the rest of us to sign up. I told BFF I was skeptical and wanted to do some independent reading on it. He seemed disappointed, but understanding. I told him that it seemed to me that what the Forum promised to teach me over a weekend were in fact the years-long lessons that make up a life, the kinds of lessons that define each of us as people. I told him I didn't believe there were any shortcuts to be had. Truthfully, I had no intention of ever signing up, and I hoped his passion for it would fade over time. I didn't want to hurt his feelings, though, and I didn't want to drive an even larger wedge between us.

I thought my hopes were being realized when he refrained from evangelizing for Landmark on the several occasions we got together for lunch since then. He barely mentioned it, only referring obliquely to his intention to take additional Forums in the future. Saturday, he called me while Mrs. Rodius and I were driving to meet some friends for dinner. He said he didn't want to distract me while I was driving and asked me to call him back when I got home. We took too long, though, and he called again as we were headed home. I couldn't for the life of me guess what was so urgent. Mrs. Rodius guessed that he was calling to tell us his ex-girlfriend was pregnant.

He was not. He was calling because he'd just taken another Forum and was again all fired up to enroll me. He told me Landmark had more power to positively affect the future of the earth and humanity than did his previously-beloved environmentalism. He wanted me to join him, because the two of us together, with Landmark behind us, could be such powerful agents for change. He told me that he knows me so well that he knows this was just the kind of thing I was looking for to make my life better. He wanted to get me into a Forum right away, before the baby comes, because he knows I won't have time for awhile after that.

I told him I don't have time now. I told him I can't spend the money. He said it's not about the money, and he'd pay for me to go. I told him I'm not looking for a change, because my life is exactly where I want it to be, and I'm happier now than I've ever been before. I told him again that I know this is important to him, and that he is important to me, but no matter what he said to me, the answer now would be no, because with the impending birth, I have no room in my life for the Forum.

But I do not want to lose him as a friend. I do not want him to become isolated from anyone in his life who is not a fellow proponent of Landmark. So I told him that if it was still important to him in six months, we could discuss it again. I did not promise to sign up, but I didn't make it clear that I won't be. I did not tell him that if he knew me so well, he would know this is exactly the kind of thing I would never want to be a part of. I did not tell him that it is about the money; it's not about whether or not I pay to attend the one Forum, it's about convincing me to be a recruiter, just as he has become. It's about convincing me to start a lifelong involvement with many more and more expensive Forums down the road. He would say that I'm "creating" that reality myself.

So now I am very sad. How do I keep my friend without signing up for a program that is utter anathema to me? Do I sign up in six months and let him pay for it (because I'm certainly not dropping hundreds of dollars on this thing after cutting our income significantly), just to keep him from feeling like I rejected it, and therefore him, without even giving it a try? What would you do?

18 comments:

PureLight said...

Yo'Mama says let him go with love for the person he was in your life. Part of growing up is realizing that people come into our lives and then leave us, always having served a purpose. It is not a tragic loss, just the Universe at work.

P.S. You were GREAT little boys together!

Weintribe said...

I'm a buddy of Franklin and Minivan Mom's, and have enjoyed reading your blog over the past few weeks.

This post has prompted me to reply...

my brother in law (dh's big brother) lives in washington with his wife, and they are followers (believers?) of Ramtha. Google it.

Frightening stuff.

Were they not brothers, I can honestly say that dh would have nothing furthur to do with his brother. Whenever they come to visit (which we pay for, since they donate all of their money to 'the school') we are encouraged to join. Proselytized at. and forced to witness dear SIL going into "trances".

Let's just say it's a damn good thing that they live so far away AND that our kids hardly see them.

The moral of post-I agree with Yo'Mama...love him for who he is and what you had, and let him go.

Dh has lost a few friends throughout his lifetime-one became born again and married...the wife wouldn't let him be friends with my dh, who is Jewish. It's a shame, but it happens.

Another option is to set 'ground rules' (which we've done for BIL and his wife). They know that we are not interested in hearing about Ramtha or the teachings. They try to respect this, and we don't mind seeing them *quite* as much ;)

Good luck. And keep blogging!

I, Rodius said...

Thanks, Sugar. I really admire your work, especially with the Minivan Mom family. Those photos were transcendent.

PureLight, you have expressed that opinion before for me to consider. What I wonder is, how do I know it's not part of my purpose in his life to hold on to him long enough to keep him from sinking further?

I, Rodius said...

Wow, Ramtha seems kind of Landmarky, with the added bonus of the Revered Figurehead. Interesting.

I, Rodius said...

I wonder if there will be some Ramtha-centered scandal at some point, and the Corporation will have to cut him loose, like Werner Erhard, and create the new Ramtha-free Ramtha.

Anonymous said...

As always, your wise mother says what I wish I was eloquent and insightful enough to say first.

Like the Byrds sang (it was them, right?) there is a season for everything, and for everything there is a season. Appreciate who he was in your life, and move on. I think you know in your heart that it's not for you to "save" him from drowning.

But then, maybe I'm not the best person to ask about letting go of friendships, since I blithely move on as soon as someone seriously pisses me off. Okay, so I'm not that bad, but...close.

PureLight said...

I know that you already know it is not your job, nor do you have the power, to save him. Recognize that he is on the path his soul has chosen for good purpose, and honor that. Your concern for him is well-intentioned, but your heart has already told you where your own path lies.

Anonymous said...

You should pay some attention to Yo'Mamma, she is a wise old broad. It always works for me.

I, Rodius said...

I can see no other outcome, but "Thanks, I have no further use for you" seems like a cold, hard end to nearly thirty years.

Ah, well. Anybody else out there like disc golf, chess, and margaritas?

anniemcq said...

Rodi, I'm sorry about your friend. I think your mom has it exactly right, but I do think it's hard to say goodbye to a friendship, especially one so long lasting. Necessary, but still it hurts.

PureLight said...

Somehow, I don't think that "I have no further use for you" is what anyone would suggest you say. I think you will find a gentler way when the time comes, which may not be right now.

Mommy Mo said...

My husband loves disc golf and margaritas. I'll pimp him out.

Ahhhh, what to do with a difficult friend? Or one that has changes significantly over the years? Tough question with the answer only coming from you. Sometimes when I'm not sure what to do, I just sit back for a while and do nothing. Let time take over so that my brain can clear out some. You may find that given a little time (plus the big changes that are about to occur in your life- new baby, change in job situation), that those factors may indeed help you come to a clear decision as to what to do with your longtime friend. I call it the "wait and see".

Good luck, Lisa

Twisted Branches said...

Oh, Rodius! You are such a good friend and that is very evident in this post. But, imo, you (and Mrs. R and Thumper) would be best served by staying away. After your cryptic post regarding LF, I did some research on my own. I'm not sure if it's a cult and I surely am not going to stick my neck out and post it, but it does sound very cultish to me. You seem to be happy and content in your life (all around).
And
IF he were such a good friend, he wouldn't push you into this...now or ever. He is obviously searching for something. But it seems you've already found your something in life. You repeatedly posted how good a place your marriage is, how happy you are, and, with Thumper's impending arrival...it can only get better.
If I were you (I'd write much better, but I digress), I'd stay away. Just sounds too freaky.

Of course, this is the opinion of someone who has never met you irl and never will. But I am a faithful blog follower...so take it for what it's worth.

:)

Twisted Branches said...

PS...
Huge fan of Margaritas, but the rest I just plain suck at. BUT if you and Mrs R (after T's birth) want to get smashed on Margaritas...SUV dad and I are up for it. You could try to teach us how to play chess while drunk on Margarita's! I like that idea best!

suttonhoo said...

good luck, I,R. you're in a tough spot -- undoubtedly you'll make the right call.

we owe our friends the same thing we owe ourselves: to be who we really are.

Anonymous said...

Rich (who is conspicously absent from the blog circuit as he singlehandedly attempts to work on a big trial at work AND do a lot of the legwork for our impending move) not only likes disc golf and margaritas, but our new house is, literally, walking distance from a disc golf course.

And as for the chess, Bailey can give you a good game. He has yet to beat me (I won't brag, but I DID come in 2nd place in my entire elementary school and went to the MA state finals. No, sadly, I'm not joking) but he's getting there.

anne said...

IR, I was in a situation like yours several years ago. My office mate and best friend for 10+ years got involved in PSI, and invited me to her graduation ceremony also. Again, it was less about her accomplishments and more about how her cherished friends could benefit from the program as much as she had...

She lived and breathed that stuff for several years - some of her long-time friends referred to it as "The cult" both in front of her and behind her back. She seemed to be investing a lot of money (which she was never good at managing anyway) in more and more seminars, and hanging out with her PSI friends exclusively. We didn't get it, but we hoped she was happier...

I believe I ended up having a conversation with her like you did with your friend: I am happy with my life as it is now, and I wish you happiness in yours, but I am NOT going to be a part of PSI.

We are no longer work-mates (seven years ago) but we do still see each other socially every so often. Our lives are much different now: I am married, with kids; she has neither in her life. Our priorities and spending habits are polar opposites. She still cracks me up with her wry observations on Life, and the evenings I spend with her are always enjoyable.

So, I think you have done the right thing. You will still have your friend in your life for the rest of your life, but your friendship may not be what it once was... and that is okay. He knows where to find you when he needs a dose of something from long ago, and you should check in with him every so often just so he knows you still care about him.

My two cents...

GuruTruth said...

Wow, I am sorry that your friend felt he had to "evangelize" you after taking part in the programs offerred by this controversial organization. Here is some more information, below:

Landmark Education is conducted in a Large Group Awareness Training setting, information about it and its "The Forum" course, previously known as "The Forum" under Werner Erhard and Associates, the "technology" of which was developed by Werner Erhard and utilized in his prior "EST Training" or "Erhard Seminars Training" - is available through the links below:

A documentary came out in France, Voyage to the Land of the New Gurus, which details some of the for-profit company's interesting practices. The film aired to 1.5 million people in France. One month after it aired, the company shut down in France. The company attempted to use the Digital Millenium Copyright Act in order to get this video off the internet. More about this at Landmark Education stumbles stupidly to hollow settlement, Landmark Education wants to make French news report a “forbidden video” on the Net and at Why did Landmark Education leave France? as well as at the Electronic Frontier Foundation's legal page, Landmark and the Internet Archive and in an article from Reuters which went into The Washington Post and The Los Angeles Times, among many other papers, at Google faces legal challenges over video service.

Landmark Education has been labeled "sect" by the government of France, a "sect" by the government of Austria. They were investigated multiple times by the United States Federal Department of Labor - and an investigation in 2004 by the Federal Department of Labor in France led to Landmark Education shutting down their operations in all of France due to unpaid labor practices.

Landmark Education is currently a defendant in a wrongful death case in Oklahoma, and also a young man named James Brian Rowe went missing in Colorado directly after attending a Landmark Forum in 2004. His family has not heard from him since.

More information about the company's history itself, at The Rick Ross Institute, the Skepdic site, Cult News, Introduction to the Landmark Education litigation archive, Landmark Education litigation archive, Apologetics Index, and Cult Awareness and Information Centre. The book OUTRAGEOUS BETRAYAL by Steven Pressman is also a great resource. Chapter 4, A Door to Door Mind Salesman, and Chapter 7, Enlightenment in Two Weekends - The est Training are available online.

For more information about other Large Group Awareness Training organizations and their methodologies, visit:

The Truth about Human Potential Seminars

Related Posts with Thumbnails