Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Gather, Ye Family, While Ye May

For as long as I can remember, I've had a powerful yearning in my heart for the closeness of family. I think it's because the blurry, leading edge of my memory includes moments of extended family, mostly of my uncle's fantastical house (did it really have a homemade sauna in the basement, or did I make that up?): sparklers and hotdogs in their gigantic, tiered backyard on the 4th of July; roaring around the block in the Fiat my uncle was rebuilding; my large, loud, deaf Grandma who taught me the sign for "milk and cookies," and of whom I was terrified, though every time we went to her house, she gave me a toy to keep; getting caught by my aunt at maybe 4 or 5 years old, in bed with my age-peer cousin, comparing her parts to mine, both our eyes wide in amazement. Ah, good times.

But we moved from Colorado to Texas when I was 5, and all of that was lost. We returned for visits, and a camping and fishing trip at Red Feather Lakes, in which the Colorado family ridiculed the Texas family's new accents, singing "Put another log on the fahr!" at us over and over again. I remember listening to "The Gambler," and "Coward of the County," and watching Breaking Away with my cousins and laughing at a man shaving his legs. I remember sitting in the back seat of my uncle's truck, driving through Denver traffic without a rear-view mirror, wondering who was following us as he turned to look over his shoulder again and again.

Then Aunt Piggy (I called Peggy "Piggy" when I was younger, and it stuck) died of cancer, and Grandma died, and we went on with our Texas lives while the Colorado family shattered and the pieces drifted apart. I periodically missed them, particularly that cousin, so close to me in age, who had for the briefest sliver of my memory seemed more like a sister than anything else. I wrote to the uncle, with no response. I wrote to the cousin, and she replied, but the connection didn't stick. I found her again after she'd married, but again, there was too big a gap between us now to bridge.

In my immediate family, too, there were gaps I longed to fill. My oldest brother, 12 years older than I, was on a year-long exchange program in Germany when we moved. He completed his senior year in Texas when he returned, but then moved on to begin building his adult life soon after. I remember that he built towers of blocks for me to giddily kick over, and he patiently rebuilt them again. I remember the smell of the backseat of his station wagon and "Hell is for Children" on the radio as he and his girlfriend drove my other brother and me to a water park. I remember watching Eddie and the Cruisers on the television in his apartment.

My sister, too, is there, barely visible in the wavering images of my early memory. She, like my oldest brother, was a product of my father's first marriage. My clearest memory of her is walking in on her in the bathroom as she stepped out of the shower, and how she screamed at me. I was sure she hated me. Then she was gone to California to live with her own mother, another gaping hole in my picture of what my family could have and should have been, but never quite was.

When I married into Mrs. Rodius' large, Irish-Catholic family, I envied her the seemingly thousands of cousins she had. Every month, it seemed, there were weddings and wakes, birthdays and showers, and people to visit in the hospital. The aunts and the uncles seemed to be the core of the family events: the aunts organized and the uncles entertained. The wake and funeral for Mrs. Rodius' father was one of the first family gatherings that I was a part of, and I was overwhelmed by how many names there were to remember.

But this weekend, my family is gathering. We've had two or three "Family Days" a year since my oldest brother's oldest child was an infant. This year, for the first time, we're doing it at the Rodius house. My mother's house has always been the setting, because it's always seemed the most appropriate place, with a covered patio and a big back yard for inflatable pools and badminton nets and squirt gun fights, and within a short drive for about half the family. My sister has never been a part of Family Day, though. There were bad feelings around the time that she left and before that, feelings that I didn't understand or even know existed at the time. Now, though, she has moved from California to Florida and seems ready to come back into her Texas family again. She's coming, with her two teenage boys. My older brother and his wife are coming, with their two kids. My oldest brother is coming, too, with his wife and youngest child, a tennis-playing teenage boy. His middle child is an Air Force cadet, and she's flying directly from the academy to Austin. His oldest daughter, 21 now, may not come, beginning as she is now to build her own adult life. We'll miss her if she doesn't come, as she has been a part of these gatherings for as long as she's been alive.

I think my mother's thrilled to have another venue in the rotation. She's always expressed her willingness to have Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Family Days at somebody else's house, but we've all been content to let her host. And I'm thrilled to be carrying on the tradition and to find that more and more family are including themselves in it. I hope they are all a cherished part of Thumper's memory when he is old enough to be sentimental.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I was reading this is it very closely parallels my familiar memories. My family home growing up was in the hills of CT so everyone from the "city" portion drove out to the woods to our house for holidays, picnics and fishing. I took to moving around a lot, landed in Texas. I love to throw on the draaaaw. It drives my mother nuts. My only boy cousin and I too made comparisons. Until reading this article I felt as though it was out of the ordinary. Thank you for setting me straight on that. I guess I'll look him in the eye next year. We are planning our second family reunion next year here in Texas. The Aunts ran it last year, don't have any uncles, never did. My Dad was the only uncle, but he is gone now-cancer. Thanks for writing this article it reminds of the old times. The new times are great too, I am one of the Aunts now & there are lots of Uncles.

PureLight said...

I love the fact that family connection and tradition is such a part of your heart, Raudius. Every family needs a "you" to carry it forward. This Family Weekend at your house feels like a little rite of passage, a passing of the torch, . . . well, you know, a sign that the family's future is in loving hands. You make me proud. I hope Mrs. R and Thumper are up to so much raucous fun!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

First, I would just like to point out that Mrs. Rodius is a saint for hosting such a social gathering mere weeks before her due date. I got your back, Mrs. Rodius!

I think it's awesome that you are doing this. I come from a large extended family on my mother's side (she is one of 6, I am one of 12 cousins) but we also have been falling into the "adults with busy lives" trap. My grandfather's funeral was the first time that we were all together in years. Once my grandmother passes, I wonder what ties will be left to bind us all.

On the other hand, Saint Richard comes from a very large Irish Catholic family that gets together on a regular basis...and it was one of the driving forces that led us to move across the country (we had a different definition of appropriate boundaries). So...maybe I DON'T want the ties that bind.

Family...so complicated.

Mommy Mo said...

I like this post and can somewhat relate. I'm like your wife- come from a large Mexican Catholic family. My dad has 13 brothers and sisters; I have THIRTY first cousins. Growing up, the majority of us lived in the same city. It seemed like we got together every Sunday afternoon for the kids to play, the men to drink beer, and the women to cook (how domestic, huh!). I had so many cousins to play with- we had a blast! Then, those in my generation started to hit puberty and some cousins started to be involved in not so nice things and my mom wouldn't allow us to partake for a while in being around them. Fast forward to now, some 20 years later, and our family still gets together for any and all occasions. Of course, I'm not in the same city anymore, but when I return home to visit my parents, my dad always throws a welcome BBQ for me and a ton of relatives will show up to see me. I love it. It can be utter chaos and noisy and it's not like I have any real conversations with anyone, but it's what I am used to. Rambling, once again.

Also, I changed my blog to "invite" only. I can put you on the invite list, put I need your email to do so. Up to you- no hard feelings either way!!!!

Rich Robinson said...

Wow! What a great post, Rodius...I have 27 first cousins on my dad's side and a mere 4 on my mother's side. But, my mom's family was Irish Catholic and family was more than just siblings. There were great aunts and second cousins, and second cousins once removed. We would all meet every year in Meredith, New Hampshire for the 4th of July, but our doors were always open.

It made for a happy childhood, to be sure, but when our own family started to grow, the obligation to attend the second cousin once removed high school graduation, and the wake of the great uncle not seen in 10 years became a stress.

Family is complicated.

I must second Minivan Mom's sentiment, though, that Mrs. R must be either Saintly or slightly tapped to be hosting a family gathering so close to arrival of Thumper.

Good luck and looking forward to the follow-up post.

I, Rodius said...

I like this post, too, and I'm glad it resonates with people, bringing back good family memories.

Debo, that's one of the things I like about blogging: finding out we're all more alike than we thought we were.

Mom, thanks for the pride. I think you and Pops have got a pretty good family going, and it keeps on getting bigger. If we get too raucous or go too late, Mrs. R and Thumper may have to go to bed, but maybe we can move it to the deck or the front room, what with the cadet coming in late and all.

Minivan Mom, I could say more about moving across country and different definitions of boundaries, but I try not to say anything here that I wouldn't say to someone's face. I never know who might stumble across my little corner of the internet here!

St. Richard, I think Mrs. R is both saintly and slightly tapped. That's why I love her.

I, Rodius said...

Thanks for the invite, Lisa, but I don't really want to post my email address here. Out of curiosity, why would you want your blog to be invite only?

Mommy Mo said...

I read this article and it freaked me out a bit. I got paranoid for a brief moment and changed my blog to "invite" only. I will most likely change it back to "public" soon.

http://urbansemiotic.com/2005/07/13/take-your-children-offline-now/#comments

Twisted Branches said...

Being an only child and an only grandchild, I longed for siblings and cousins and all that went with them. Your post brought back alot of memories and feelings. I, too, married into a large Catholic family and marveled at the social calendar and reunions. Always a picnic, party, or funeral. Enjoy your family day and your immediate family. Just wait til Thumper is born. If you think the family yearning is strong now...it doubles when a child is born.

Related Posts with Thumbnails