Monday, July 9, 2007

Sympathy for the Bedeviled

For a couple of weeks now, I've had a pain in my lower back that runs straight down into my right butt check. It hasn't been that bad, but yesterday morning, I almost fell over when I got out of bed to hobble-hop to the bathroom, and this morning, it took me an inordinately long time to make it from the car to the desk.

"Aha!" the more astute and experienced of you may be saying now, with that smug little grin on your face. "Right butt cheek. Sciatic nerve. Pregnant wife. He's got sympathetic sciatica! Isn't that cute?"

No, it's not cute. It's a pain in the ass. I know I'm not supposed to complain about anything, what with the wife who's got a giant trump card brewing in her belly, but: Oooowwwwww!

What's the deal with this, anyway? Is it the running? And by running, I mean walking and jogging? True, it seems to be worse right after a workout. But when I get into a good rhythm and really feel like I've got a proper ChiRunning form going on, the pain goes away entirely. That's got to be a sign that I'm doing something right, doesn't it? Of course, it comes right back as soon as I start walking again, but, you know, baby steps. Maybe I should've started with ChiWalking. But I imagine ChiWalking must be a lot like ChiRunning, but slower. Part of the ChiRunning form is visualizing that there are bars sticking straight out of your ankle bones, so that you have to lift each foot high enough not to trip on the bar sticking out of the other ankle. I just can't bring myself to do that when I'm walking through the office.

And OK, maybe it's so bad yesterday and today because I drove to Houston and back on Saturday to pick up baby furniture. My brother-in-law helped me haul the bigger- and heavier-than-expected dresser and changing table down the stairs and into the rented van. He was kind enough and manly enough to take the bottom end on the stairs, which gave him all the weight, but it meant that I got to walk down the stairs hunched over to keep my end low enough. And there was the part where we grunted it into position in the van, which doesn't exactly have a cargo space tall enough to accomodate my 6'3" of rippling muscle.

So you see, it's not some kind of sympathetic pregnancy thing. It's not in my head, it's in my butt. I earned my back pain through manly pursuits. Don't look at me like that...

3 comments:

PureLight said...

You poor bedeviled pregnant guy! It actually does sound like sciatica, maybe just regular, not pregnancy-induced. I hear that exercise is supposed to help, but gentle I think. I tend to like rest and a heating pad. I feel your pain and I hope you get relief soon. Walking funny is no joke!

Rich Robinson said...

Perhaps you should try this:

Silly Walk

suttonhoo said...

I think it's sweet. :) although I'm sorry it hurts so much. :(

a girlfriend of mine is a family practitioner and she told me about a woman who came in for a pregnancy test -- because her boyfriend had morning sickness. i.e. he was experiencing a sympathetic pregnancy before she even suspected she was pregnant.

true story.

Related Posts with Thumbnails