Thursday, July 5, 2007

In Which I Abuse the Exclamation Point Key on my Keyboard

We went to our 34-week ultrasound appointment this morning, and I haven't been able to stop smiling since. Can I bore you with some pictures of my son?

First of all, everything looks great. One potential problem is no longer even close to being a problem. Yay! And even though we did the "anatomy screen" six weeks ago, the doctor still went over a few parts and said, "heart's great, kidneys are great." Great, great. Great great great. Great!

But there are two things that just fill me with idiotic, grinning pride, and shouldn't really. One, they estimate his weight at 6 lbs, 5 oz., with six weeks still to go. I put the size chart that the ultrasound tech gave us into a drawing program so that I could blow it up and measure with pixelated precision, and I calculate that he's bigger than 74.29% of his peers. That's my boy! Let the competitive child comparing begin, even in utero!

Two, did you see that foot? Now, I know it's hard to judge relative size in a grainy ultrasound picture. Looking at those things is kind of like seeing shapes in the clouds. (Hey, look! A foot! No, it looks like a rabbit to me... ) And I didn't, but should have, ask the tech to measure it in centimeters. But, that's a foot, and those are two hands, and man! That's a big foot! That's my boy!

So I guess that's why I've been grinning like a Transformers junkie all day: it's all starting to feel a bit more real now. There's a person in there. At one point, the tech said, "Those spiky things are his hair." The kid's got hair! Of course, she did have a heavy accent, and she may have said "ear." But I don't think ears show up in an ultrasound as "spiky things," so I'm going with hair. The kid's got hair! And a big ol' foot! And if you kind of squint one eye and turn your head to the side, you can make out a face, and hey! He's kind of cute!

At another point, the tech froze the image on a perfect circle and said, "That's his belly." That's my boy! He's got a basketball belly and big ol' feet! Just like his old man!

I do feel kind of guilty about being so happy about all of this, though. I haven't had much of a chance to talk to Mrs. Rodius about it yet, but somehow I bet she's just not nearly as thrilled as I am with the "6 lbs, 5 oz, with six weeks still to go" part.

But have you seen that kid's foot? That's my boy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your enthusiasm. Remember this. Hold on to this. Because no matter how many more children you have, and even though of course you WILL love them just as much, there is nothing, I repeat, nothing, like the anticipation of your firstborn.

Thumper is beautiful. Beautiful. I can't wait for him to be born and hear all about it. And of course, I am only a keyboard away for all your mom-of-3 related questions.

Oh, but also, those weights are often very off. Not saying that Thumper isn't a strapping hulk of 34 week old baby, but those weights can easily be off by at least a pound. They told me that Sam was 7lb 3oz 12 hours before he was born. He came out at 6 lbs even. So don't put TOO much stock into that guesstimation.

Anonymous said...

You know what they say about big feet....

big shoes.

Congratulations...Thumper looks great. Obviously, Mrs. Rodius is taking extra good care of him.

I, Rodius said...

Thanks guys! It's good to know I can consult with you to find out if his head is supposed to rotate all the way around like that.

I hope the hospital has internet access so I can post a picture of the boy in his Jamaal Charles onesie...

Related Posts with Thumbnails