Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's Kinda Like My Senior Day, Too

It was a bittersweet Texas victory over Tech today. It was Senior Day at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, meaning that it was the last time the seniors on the team would get to play on the home field. It was my last game, too. I got free tickets through my previous job, which I kept, even though I quit in mid-October. If I was a truly ethical person, I would've returned the remaining tickets as a job benefit that I was no longer earning. But I am not a truly ethical person.

Several people have pointed out to me, when I mention this was my last chance at a UT game, that I could come back in a few years and buy tickets to take Thumper to a game. Are you kiddin' me? The face value on the tickets we used today was $85. Each. In a few years' time, they'll probably be up to $120, especially if Texas wins another national championship in the interim. And as I may have mentioned, cheapness counts. There may literally be no experience on the planet that lasts a few hours that I would pay $170 to experience, even, if St. Vincent the Young will forgive me, a Texas football game. Praise be to #10, forever and ever, amen.

Thanks to SWSIL and Big Brother for watching the boy for us. He apparently had a fabulous time watching his cousins in action. Their house has much more activity going on than ours does. He apparently slept almost not at all all afternoon long, but conked out nearly as soon as I got him into his pj's. I wonder if this means he'll (let us) sleep in tomorrow...

3 comments:

mrsf5 said...

No kidding! We were at the game, too. Actually, I'm surprised you didn't spot us: we were the ones in burnt orange shirts. Yeah, that was us!

And psst: I've got a hot tip for scoring free tickets to Texas games. Befriend two suckers who refuse to let go of their season tickets, even though they can only make it to, on average, half of the scheduled home games in any given year, because they have three high-strung kiddos and a dearth of willing and competent babysitters.

You heard it here first. Hook 'em...

I, Rodius said...

Thanks for the tip. Can you introduce me?

Where were you? We were in 129 on the east side.

mrsf5 said...

We were directly opposite you, in 103: not quite the uppermost row, but perilously close to it.

Don't worry, though: after the first hour, you shake off the sensation that one false move will send you plummeting over the side. Promise.

Related Posts with Thumbnails