Monday, November 12, 2007

New Stuff to Look At

My biggest challenge right now in being alone with the Thumperino hour after hour is finding new things for him to look at. He gets bored very easily, which is of course evidence of his staggering intelligence. He's extremely bored with every aspect of our TV room, and has even been known to begin crying the instant we walk into it.

Today, to give him new stuff to look at, we went to the park down the street. I strapped him into the Snugli and we walked all over, from the playground to the volleyball courts to the tennis courts to the baseball field to the creek. We watched squirrels chasing each other 'round and 'round an old pecan tree trunk. We listened to the birdies. We did as the signs advised and Watched for Snakes. We watched the same jogger go by over and over again. He lasted about an hour in the Snugli before fussing, and that may have been due to the red lines around his thighs when I took him out. Maybe I don't have it adjusted right.

Then we sat on a bench by the playground and chatted with a "Grammy" and her two little girls. She kept commenting on how tiny Thumper was, which I thought was pretty amusing since he looks downright gigantic to me. Thumper watched the little girls snacking with great interest while Grammy and I discussed the relative benefits and detriments to living in the neighborhood. Then Thumper and I discussed how much fun it must be to try to run all the way up the slide without sliding down, since so many kids try it, and how barefoot seems to be the best strategy. We got about another half-hour that way before he started fussing again, then we went home and he slept and slept and slept.

When he woke up, we went to Kid to Kid to shop for some sort of new toy to keep him occupied. They were all a little advanced for him, though. I thought very seriously about the Activity Saucer, but it was $40 used, and since cheapness counts, I thought I could do better. So we went to the pet store next door and looked at the fishies and birdies and ferrets. We also looked at the bunnies, but they didn't move, so I'm not sure he saw them.

The two biggest obstacles to us going out and looking at more interesting stuff than the TV room ceiling fan are:

1. The drive. He either fusses or falls asleep, unless the ride is under two minutes, which isn't enough to get us out of the neighborhood.

2. My guilt that I'm wasting time or screwing around if we go out and look at fishies at the pet store. I tend to stick close to home so that if he falls asleep, I can get stuff done. I felt doubly guilty that when he slept after the park, I let him sleep on my chest and napped a little myself. I keep thinking that if I'm not cooking or cleaning or doing laundry, I'm letting Mrs. Rodius down. But even though he's only 3 1/2 months old, just keeping the boy happy and stimulated is a full-time job. I'm going to have to work on telling that voice in the back of my head to shut the hell up when it starts telling me that walking around the park is just screwing around.

6 comments:

anniemcq said...

Oh, Rodius. It's not just screwing around. It's really, really not. I know that "getting stuff done" feels so pressing, but this time goes by in a blink, it does, and the stuff that gets done or doesn't won't count in the long run. Enjoy the weight of him on your chest, the smell of him, and the fuss, because before you know it, he'll be seven and embarrassed to kiss you in public. You'll have all kinds of time to get stuff done then.

Mommy Mo said...

Walking around the park is not screwing around! Hell, we practically live at every park in our area. Think of it as "pre-activity" for when Thumper is able to climb the ladder on his own and scream with delight as he goes downt he slide. It happens all too quickly. Enjoy every minute of his snugliness and immobility : ). I love reading about a dad's perspective of his first child.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel but you do need to give yourself a break. I was a sahm one summer when we moved cross country and the first couple of weeks I was exhausted from trying to be super-parent, -spouse, -maid, -chef, etc. When I realized I was killing myself way more than I ever did when I was "working" I decided I had to chill. And it was truly all me - I felt I'd be letting hubby down. He was just happy I was at home helping the boys transition from the big move and had NO expectations of coming home to superwoman. I enjoy your blog. I've been lurking but finally decided to comment today.

Anonymous said...

And that, my progressive SAHD friend, is why I completely and utterly suck and fail as a SAHM.

Because, to me, it always felt like screwing around.

May you find the zen of being a stay at home parent and quiet the voices in your head.

I, Rodius said...

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody.

anniemcq, I think you need to come to Austin and smell this baby. He'll be getting a bath tomorrow night, if that works for you.

lisa, somehow it feels less like screwing around and more like part of the job when I go to an official SAHD playdate at the park than when I just take him there myself for no good reason at all. Weird, huh?

sr, thanks for delurking. There's nothing my ego likes better than getting comments. I'm jealous of tracey r's legion of fans. She's an internet supastah, y'all. And it's because she's productive; she never screws around and wastes time.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure it's quite a legion...I'd put it more at a small congregation. A covey, if you will.

And don't be jealous. People like to vicariously live on the edges of my insanity.

Related Posts with Thumbnails